Saturday, April 30, 2011

Dr. William Clark Fisher of Tipperary

Dr. William Clark Fisher was born in Salem, Henry County, Iowa, October 22, 1870.  His parents were Joseph W. and Lany (Clark) Fisher. Young William attended the public schools in Salem, Iowa.  In 1887, the family moved to Clarinda, Iowa, where William graduated from the Clarinda High School in 1890.  He received his medical education from the medical department of the Iowa State University, Iowa City, Iowa, and was graduated from what began his practice of medicine at Clarinda.  Six Years later, he moved to Rapid City, Pennington, S.D., where he remained until 1907.  He then returned to Clarinda, Iowa, where he continued in the practice of medicine.  After assisting Dr. J. A. Matson earlier in 1917, Dr. Fisher came to Lucas County and located at Tipperary, Iowa,  in May 1917, when Dr. Matson left for World War I.  Dr. Fisher later moved to Williamson, Iowa, in April, 1927, after the Tipperary mine closed, and continued his practice there for many years.   
    Dr. Fisher was married to Miss Lovina S. Osborn of Clarinda, Iowa, May 10, 1898, and his family consisted of Mrs. Lydia Wilhelmina (James) Houser, Mrs. Lovina Ellen Enslow, and Merriam Clark Fisher, who later became a dentist in Chariton.  (courtesy:  Doctors of Lucas County, Gwen & Mary Crozier)
    Dr. Fisher was the doctor for the Central Iowa Fuel Company and according to his daughter, Wilhelmina, Dr. Fisher was an active participant in helping start hospitals in Monroe and Lucas Counties.  The mine contracted with Dr. Fisher to provide services for mining camp employees and their families for a set monthly fee of $1.00 a month per family.  For that amount, any member of the family on the list could visit the doctor for an unlimited number of times and have his prescriptions included.  The miner could also have hospital benefits for a monthly fee of $1.50.  Dr. Fisher did everything from pulling teeth to delivering babies, setting broken bones, sewing up gashes; you name it, Dr. Fisher did it.

 There are pictures of Dr. Fisher and several stories shared by contacts in the “Tipperary Gone But Not Forgotten” book written by Rose Marie Briggs.  You may contact Rose Marie at either her email address:  rosembriggs@yahoo.com or by clicking on the following: Tipperary and Olmitz Books

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

William Henry Gibbon


  
Appeared in the Chariton Leader on Tuesday, October 8, 1991 
from the John L. Pierce Collection

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Dr. Ansin Elmer Murphy

Excerpt From History of Medicine in Lucas County
Oakley, Iowa
Either the community was slow in growth or else it was cared for sufficiently in a medical way by physicians from Chariton or Lucas, for there is no record to show that any physician located there until 1896.  Then came Dr. Ansin Elmer Murphy to care for those needing medical attention.  He was a native of Ohio and a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at St. Louis, Missouri.  The doctor practiced in the vicinity for four or five years and proved to be a good, faithful country practitioner.  We have no record as to when he left the town or where he may have relocated.
----------------
The following was in a Chariton newspaper in the late 1890's:
Dr. Murphy made a trip to Chariton last Friday and removed a tape worm from a lady, 104 feet and 7 inches long.  He had the monster on exhibition at the post office a couple of days last week.  The doctor is a sure shot on tape worms and removes them with perfect safety.
------------------------------------------------

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dr. William H. Axline

Dr. William H. Axline
Dr. William H. Axline came to Lucas County and located in Chariton, about 1874 or 1875.  He was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons at Keokuk, in the class of 1869,  For a time he was a member of the Chariton Board of United States Examiners for Pensions.  In the spring of 1877, he sold his property and good will to Dr. Thomas J. Simmons, who succeeded him.  The doctor was in Harlan, Shelby County, in 1886 and 1887.  The last record we have of him shows that he was located in Attica, Marion County, in 1904.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
-------------------------------------- 

Dr. Harmon Heed 1840-1888

Dr. Harmon Heed
Dr. Harmon Heed was born in Yardlyville, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, April 6, 1840.  He was a graduate of the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia.  He enlisted as Assistant Surgeon in the 40th New Jersey Volunteers at Trenton, New Jersey, and was honorably discharged from the army at the close of the Civil War.
He came to Chariton in October, 1865, where he was associated for a time with Dr. William H. Gibbon.  Later he entered into partnership with Dr. W.J. Baird under the name of Drs. Heed and Baird.  They opened an office in the new Mallory Opera Block on the northwest corner of the town square, where they occupied rooms which were fitted up many years ahead of the time.  Dr. Heed was a very successful physician.  He was a local surgeon for the Burlington railroad.  He was also a member of Chariton Lodge No. 63, A.F. and A.M.  He married Miss Sue Anderson, a school teacher, in Chariton, May 7, 1868.  In 1875 Dr. Heed moved to Amherst, Massachusetts.  He died in that city May 18, 1888, at the age of forty-eight years.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
---------------------------------------------------

Dr. Thomas J. Simmons

Dr. Thomas J. Simmons
Dr. Thomas J. Simmons was born in Pennsylvania in 1838, and came to Iowa in 1864.  He had acquired a good education, and had attended a course of medical lectures.  He first located in Appanoose County.  Some years later he moved to Wayne County where he had a large practice.  Feeling the need of rest and a desire for more medical knowledge, he took his wife and two children to Philadelphia, in the fall of 1874.  He was graduated from the Jefferson Medical College in the class of 1875, returned to Iowa, and re-entered the practice of medicine, this time locating at Promise City, Wayne County.
In the early spring of 1877, he located in Chariton.  He purchased from Dr. William Axline, his good will and office equipment, and soon acquired a large practice.  He was a good diagnostician and was especially successful in the treatment of disease.  He was a large, tall man of commanding appearance, kind, friendly and easy to approach.  In 1865 he married Miss E.J. Martin, a daughter of an early day merchant of Centerville, Iowa.  Three children came to gladden their household; Charles, Lura and DeLaskie.  The doctor died suddenly in his office, March 22, 1890.  He was buried in the Chariton Cemetery.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
--------------------------------------- 

Dr. William J. Baird

Dr. William J. Baird
Dr. William J. Baird was born in Portage County, Ohio, April 16, 1832.  He came to Iowa in October, 1853, and was located at Columbia, Marion County, prior to his coming to Chariton, about 1869 or 1870.  He was made a Mason in Tyre Lodge No. 185, at Columbia.  He was associated for a time with Dr. Harmon Heed, under the name of Drs. Heed and Baird.  We have no record of where he received his medical education, or when he left Chariton, or where he may have relocated.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------------

Dr. George D. Dresser

Dr. George D. Dresser
Dr. George D. Dresser was practicing medicine in Chariton in 1876.  He was a graduate of the Homeopathic Medical College, New York City, in the class of 1874.  For information concerning this gentleman, the writer is indebted to an old friend, who related that the doctor was associated for a time with Dr. William Wilson, the first homeopathic physician to locate in Lucas County.  We have no further record of Dr. Dresser's activities.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmortonn
------------------------------------ 

Dr. Harry Bennett McKleen 1868-1914

Dr. Harry Bennett McKlveen
Dr. Harry Bennett McKlveen, born December 17, 1869, was the son of Dr. John A. and Catherine M. (Kennedy) McKlveen.  He was educated at the State University of Iowa; studied medicine under his father; and was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Chicago, in the class of 1892.  He then became associated with his father for four years, after which he located in Coin, Page County, Iowa.  He was married to Miss Lillian DeKalb, Decatur County, Iowa.  They had one child, a daughter.  The doctor died suddenly in California in 1914.  His body was returned for burial in the family lot in the Chariton Cemetery.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmortonn
---------------------------------------

Dr. John Alexander McKlveen 1835-1916

Dr. John Alexander McKlveen
Dr. John Alexander was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, November 28, 1935.  His parents were Henry and Catherine (Lohr) McKlveen; his father being of Scotch-Irish ancestry and his mother of German lineage.  John was the oldest of fourteen children and was educated in the public schools of his native country.  He taught school, and then took up the study of medicine with Dr. James Loar, of Mt. Pleasant, Pennsylvania.
In 1860 he attended his first course of lectures at the Physio-Medical College of Cincinnati, Ohio.  He located first in Pleasant Unity, Pennsylvania.  Two years later he moved to Centerville, Ohio, where he remained only a few months.  He then settled in LaPorte County, Indiana, for one year.  he spent the winter of 1864-1865 in Illinois, after which time he came to Lucas County in June 1865, and located in Chariton where he lived until the time of his death.  In 1872 he attended a course of lectures at the Bennett College of Eclectic Medicine and Surgery in Chicago, from which institution he received his medical diploma.
Dr. McKlveen was the local surgeon for the Burlington railroad for several years.  He was president of the Iowa State Eclectic Medical Society in 1875-1876, again in 1895, and again in 1904.  As a member of the Iowa State Board of Health and Medical Examiners, he served as State Senator from Wayne and Lucas Counties in the 32nd general assembly.  He was president of the State Savings Bank in Chariton, for many years.  On November 10, 1868, in Freeport, Pennsylvania, he was married to Miss Kate M. Kennedy.  To this union three children were born; Harry Bennett, Mary Elizabeth and Jess.  The wife and daughter, Elizabeth, died many years ago.  The doctor afterwards was married to Miss Mary Genevieve Milthorpe, of Chariton, October 30, 1899.
Dr. McKlveen died at his home July 16, 1916, at the age of eighty-one years and burial was in the Chariton Cemetery.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------ 

Dr. David Quincy Storie

Dr. David Quincy Storie
Dr. David Quincy Storie was born in Chariton, July 16, 1874.  He was the second son of David Quincy and Delia Antoinette (Jackson) Storie, who were natives of New York.  David Quincy, Jr., was graduated from the Chariton High School, March, 1892; and from Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, in the class of 1901.  Following his graduation he located in the town of his boyhood years.  He was married to Miss Nellie M. Smith, a daughter of J. Fletcher and Jessie (Day) Smith, November 21, 1901.  To this union were born three children:  David Quincy Storie III, D.D.S.; Mrs. Martha L. Shaw and Mrs. Jessie A. Morgan.  Dr. Storie practiced medicine and surgery continuously in Chariton until June 21, 1925, when he was killed in an automobile accident near Northwood, Iowa.  He was buried in the family lot in the Chariton Cemetery.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmortonn
----------------------------------------

Dr. Charles Frank Elrod

Dr. Charles Frank Elrod 

Dr. Charles Frank Elrod was born in New Richmond, Indiana, May 23, 1848.  When he was about one year old his parents moved to Fayette County, Iowa.  After the death of his father, young Charles was obliged to care for the family.  He came to Marion County, Iowa, at the age of seventeen, where he worked at farming.  Later he attended a course of lectures at Keokuk Medical College at Keokuk, Iowa.  He then entered the practice of medicine at Gosport, Marion County.  He was married to Miss Sarah E. Ruthford.  Later he changed his location to Ladora, Iowa, in which place he remained in active practice for thirteen years.  Dr. Elrod came to Chariton in 1904.   He was not a graduate in medicine, but was licensed under the "time act" in 1886.  He was an active member of the Masonic Order and at his death he was the oldest Mason in the county, in age.  He was likewise a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church.  The doctor died at this home in Chariton, May 1932, at the ripe old age of four score years and four.  Funeral services were held for him at the Beardsley funeral home.  Interment was in the Chariton Cemetery.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
---------------------------------------- 

Dr. Iranarch Sylvester Buzzard

Dr. Iranarch Sylvestor Buzzard
Dr. Iranarch Sylvestor Buzzard was the oldest son of Samuel and Fannie Morrison Buzzard.  He was born in Marion County, Iowa, in 1873.  He was a graduate of Keokuk Medical College, Keokuk, Iowa, in the class of 1898.  Following his graduation he located in Belinda, a small village in the northeastern part of the county.  After a time he moved to Russell, where he remained for several years.  He came to Chariton about 1911.  Dr. Buzzard spent a year in Chicago taking postgraduate work.  He also spent some time in Europe furthering his studies in eye, ear, nose and throat work.  On his return home, he relocated in Waterloo, Black Hawk County.  He later moved to Carroll, Carroll County, Iowa, which city has since been his residence.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Samuel Buzzard

Dr. Samuel Buzzard
Dr. Samuel Buzzard was born in Pocahontas County, West Virginia, October 1, 1842.  He was a graduate of the Philadelphia University of Medicine and Surgery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in the class of 1871.  He married Miss Sarah Fannie Morrison of Jacx, Pocahontas County, West Virginia, September 22, 1870.  In 1871, Dr. Buzzard came to Iowa and located in Marion County.
He was located at Attica for six years; and for five years he practiced in Eldorado.  He came to Lucas County in 1883.  His post office address at that time was Ola, Iowa.  He purchased a large farm of several hundred acres in Cedar Township, where he lived for ten years.  During this time he acted as overseer of his farm, engaged in stock raising and carried on a country practice.  About 1903, when his wife's health began to fail, he leased his farm and moved to Chariton, where he purchased a home and opened an office.  Later, he took his wife to California in the hope that the mild winds and equitable climate on the coast would prove beneficial to her health.  After a sojourn for a year, the doctor brought his invalid wife back to Chariton.  Mrs. Buzzard's vitality gradually failed and, surrounded by her children and friends, she passed away.  The doctor remained in Chariton and divided his time between his business interests and his practice until the time of his death.
Dr. Buzzard was a man of good judgment and was well qualified as a medical practitioner, being safe, conservative, sympathetic and faithful in attendance, positive in nature and fearless in espousing a cause which he believed to be right.  He united with the Methodist Episcopal Church when a young man.  The doctor died September 16, 1914, in the Iowa Methodist Hospital in Des Moines.
Dr. Buzzard had a son who was a graduate in medicine and a daughter, Cloe, who was a graduate nurse.  She ministered to her father's care and comfort during his last illness.

From the History of Medicine in Lucas County written by Dr. Throckmorton
-----------------------------------------------

Friday, January 29, 2010

Dr. Theodore Barnes

Dr. Theodore Barnes
Dr. Theodore Barnes was born in Iowa, in 1856.  He came to Chariton about 1896, and as a student, entered the office of Dr. John A. McKlveen.  He was licensed by the State Board of Medical Examiners, August 5, 1898.  Later he was graduated from the Eclectic Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in the class of 1908.  After a residence in Chariton for some ten or eleven years, during which time he was associated with Dr. McKlveen in general practice, he went to Wyoming where he took up a land claim.  Afterward, he returned to Chariton, and later he moved to several other places.  When last heard from, in 1925, he was in Des Moines.  Since that time all trace of his whereabouts has been lost.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
--------------------------------- 

Dr. William Kermit Johnson

Dr. William Kermit Johnson
Dr. William Kermit Johnson was born in New York in 1856.  He was a graduate of the Keokuk Medical College, Keokuk Medical College, Keokuk, Iowa, in the class of 1891.  He came from Creston, Iowa, to Chariton in 1896.  The doctor did not remain long in the community and when last heard from, in 1925, was located in Garnett, Kansas.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------

Dr. James Peter Volby

Dr. James Peter Volby
Dr. James Peter Volby was born in Denmark.  He was a graduate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Chicago, Illinois, in the class of 1890, and came from Clinton, Iowa to Chariton in 1894.  We have no record as to the time of his departure.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------ 

Dr. Lydia Alice Myers

Dr. Lydia Alice Myers
Dr. Lydia Alice Myers was a native of Illinois.  She was graduated from the Iowa college of Physicians and Surgeons, Des Moines, Iowa, in 1892.  Dr. Myers located in Chariton in 1893, but continued in practice only a short time.  We have no record as to when she left the town or where she may have relocated.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County by Dr. Throckmorton
---------------------------------------------------

Dr. Edgar L. Field

Dr. Edgar L. Field
Dr. Edgar L. Field was born in New York, near Niagara Falls.  He was located at Leighton, Mahaska County, Iowa, before coming to Chariton in 1892.  He was licensed by the state after "eight years of practice in Iowa" November 26, 1886, according to the certificate filed in Chariton, December 6, 1892.  The doctor and his family moved to Louisiana about 1907.  When last heard from in 1913 the doctor was in Houston, Texas.
From the History of Medicine in Lucas County" by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------

Dr. Levi Peter Warrington

Dr. Levi Peter Warrington
Dr. Levi Peter Warrington was born in Illinois in 1854.  He came to Lucas County and located in Chariton, July 23, 1890.  He was graduated from the Chicago Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, March 23, 1886.  He married Miss May Jackson of Chariton about 1892.  His stay in the city was of some three or four year's duration.  We have no record or knowledge of where he went, or where he may have relocated, although diligent inquiry has been made.  There was some talk, about the time of his departure that he might enter the ministry.
From the History of Medicine In Lucas County" by Dr. Throckmorton
----------------------------------------

Dr. Frank Hall Boynton

Dr. Frank Hall Boynton was born in Hartford, Van Buren County, Michigan, January 8, 1866.  He was the son of Cyrus and Emma Hall Boynton, who were natives of New York State.  In 1885, he matriculated in the Homeopathic Medical Department of the State University of Iowa, Iowa City and received his diploma from that institution in the class of 1887.
He then located at Mr. Pleasant, Iowa, where he entered into a partnership with Dr. J.H. Drake, a brother-in-law.  This association continued until April 8, 1890, when he located in Chariton.  The doctor was married to Miss Fannie Hunter, of Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, June 5, 1888.  Three daughters came to bless the home.  He was a member of the Chariton Lodge No. 64 Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  Dr. Boynton was a very pleasant gentleman, easily approached, and was fair and just to the medical fraternity.  In 1916 he moved, with his family, to Los Angeles, California, where he has since resided.  His departure was a distinct loss to the community and to the local profession.
From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
-------------------------------- 

Dr. Albert Lee Yocum, Sr.

Dr. Albert Lee Yocum, Sr.
Dr. Albert Lee Yocum, Sr., was born in Waynesville, Dewitt County, Illinois, July 8, 1855.  He was a son of Elijah and Caroline A. Higgins Yocom.  His father was a native of KY.; his mother of German ancestry.  Albert obtained his literary education in the public schools of Waynesville.
He was reared to manhood on his father's farm and began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. J.A. Starkey, of Waynesville.  He attended a course of lectures in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Keokuk, Iowa, from which institution he was graduated in 1886.  Having practiced three years prior to his graduation in medicine at Newbern, Marion County, Iowa, he came to Chariton in 1889, instead of relocating in his former field of endeavor.
Dr. Yocum was married September 8, 1879, to Miss Anna B. Short.  She was a native of Hayworth, McLean County, Illinois.  The doctor became the father of six children; three sons and three daughters.  Dr. Yocum was a member of the county and state medical societies and of the American Medical Association.  He was also a member of the Masonic Order.
The doctor, on March 28, 1932, was up and about his work as usual.  During the afternoon of that date he attended funeral services for Dr. C.C. Calbreath, acting as one of the honorary pall-bearers.  On the following morning he became ill and during the day, his condition having grown progressively worse, he was removed to his son's hospital.  Dr. Albert, Jr., performed an emergency operation and removed a gangrenous appendix.  The infection was a vicious one and the fight for life was an uphill pull.  In spite of every attention, the doctor gradually failed and death came peacefully early on the morning of March 30, 1932.
The writer sat by Dr. Yocum at the funeral service of Dr. Calbreath.  He also talked and visited with him at the cemetery.  That death was stalking so near never once entered the field of conversation.  His sudden death was a shock to all.  The funeral services were held at the Beardsley funeral home on Sunday, April 3, 1932.  Interment was in the Chariton Cemetery.
 From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
------------------------------------------

Dr. Sheldon Pierce Hewins

Dr. Sheldon Pierce Hewins
Dr. Sheldon Pierce Hewins was born in 1860.  He was a greduate of the Chicago Homeophathic Medical College, Chicago, Illinois, in the class of 1888 and came to Chariton, about 1892, where he remained for three or four years.  He was married to Miss Tillie Clouse, a daughter of Mr. John Clouse, who was an early settler in Lucas County.  Dr. Hewins was located in Olean, Cattaraugus County, New York in 1926.
From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
---------------------------------- 

Dr. Artemas Brown

Dr. Artemas Brown
Dr. Artemas Brown, the oldest son of the Rev. Artemas Brown, a presiding elder in the Methodist Church, was born in 1852.  He was graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa, in the class of 1887 and located in Chariton, about the year 1890.  His residence in the city was of short duration.  He was residing in Berwyn, Illinois when last heard from a few years ago.  He later moved to Des Moines, where he died and was buried in 1933.
From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
---------------------------------------- 

Dr. Augustus H. Warren

Dr. Augustus H. Warren
Dr. Augustus H. Warren was a native of Pennsylvania.  He was licensed to practice by the Iowa State Board of Medical Examiners, February 8, 1889.  His certificate was filed in the county June 19, 1890.  Apparently the doctor did not remain long in the town.  There is not further record.
 From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
 -------------------------------------------

Dr. Byron N. Gantz

Dr. Byron N. Gantz
Dr. Byron N. Gantz was born in 1860.  He was graduated from the Hahnemann Homeopathic Medical College, Chicago, in 1885.  The doctor came to Chariton about the year 1886 or 1887, but he remained only a year of two.  He was practicing in Fairfield, Jefferson County, Iowa, 1925.
From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
-------------------------------------------

Dr. John W. Culley

Dr. John W. Culley
 Dr. John W. Culley was a graduate of the medical department of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, in the class of 1873.  He located in Chariton about 1873 or 1874, and entered into partnership with Dr. James E. Stanton, which relationship continued for several years.  He was married to a Miss Waynick of Chariton.  Dr. Culley was a member of the Chariton Lodge No. 64, Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He was a well educated man and a good doctor.  He had rather queer ideas as to dress.  It was not unusual during the winter and spring months to see the distinguished doctor arrayed in a shaggy buffalo overcoat, felt boots, and high silk hat.  He left Chariton about 1900, going to Salt Lake City, Utah, where he died.

From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
--------
 Dr. J.W. Culley Dead
Chariton Patriot March 28, 1907

Dr. J.W.Ciulley a former well known citizen of Chariton died at his home in Salt Lake City, Utah, last Monday.  Dr. Culley came to this town in 1875 and resided here until twelve years ago when he went to Salt Lake City.
------------------------

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dr. William Fletcher Wilson

Dr. William Fletcher Wilson
Dr. William Fletcher Wilson, the son of Dr. William Wilson, was reared in Chariton.  Here he attended the public schools and grew to young manhood.  Dr. Will, as he was called by his friends, was graduated from the Hahnemann Medical College, in Chicago, in the class of 1879.  He returned to his native town and was associated in the practice of medicine with his father for two years.  He then took postgraduate work in New York City for a year or two  Following its completion, he located in Denver, Colorado, as a specialist in ophthalmic and aural surgery.  He was married to Miss Lorinda Babcock of that city about 1885.  The writer called at his office in Denver in 1887.  On learning of my presence, Dr. Wilson immediately came out and, taking me by the hand, led me into his private office.  Here he asked me to tell him all about Chariton and his many old friends.  his waiting room was crowded with patients and I was loathe to take up his time but , in spite of my protest about interfering with his work, he exclaimed, "Oh, let the patients go hang.  They will wait or come back.  Now talk,"  I had a most delightful conversation with him and was plesed to see the evidences of his successful practice.  He died, after a day or two of illness, about 1895.  (note: death notice say 1889).
From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
 ---------
A dispatch from Denver, Colo., dated April 20, says:
"Dr. W.F. Wilson, considered one of the most talented oculists of the country, died late last night from an overdose of morphine.  Mr. Wilson had been suffering for some time from insomnia, and took the drug to secure sleep, and evidently miscalculated the amount.  Several eminent physicians were summoned when his condition was discovered, and they worked with him three hours without avail.  He was only 29 years of age, and a pupil of Dr. Knapp of New York.  His income in this city was estimated at $30,000 annually.  He leaves a widow here and a mother at Chariton, IA
 -------------------------------------- 

Dr. William H. Wilson

Dr. William H. Wilson, 1831 - 1889
Dr. William H. Wilson was a native of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.  He came to Lucas County in the early sixties.  He had attended one course of lectures at the Homeopathic Cleveland Medical College.  In Ohio, in 1860.  Later he was graduated from the Homeopathic College of Physicians and Surgeons in St. Louis, Missouri, in 1870.  He was the first Homepathic physician to locate in Chariton; consequently he experienced the opposition and ridicule of many of the so-called "regulars," some of whom stooped so low as to speak of him as the "little mouse-feces doctor."  Nevertheless, in spite of that onerous appellation, the doctor was honest in his work and attended strictly to his own business.  He took no issue with his antagonistic confreres but let them quarrel and fight among themselves.  The doctor had a son whom he educated in medicine.  Dr. Wilson was well supplied with surgical instruments and other essential equipment.  The writer purchased a very useful set of splints from the widow some time after the death of the doctor, which occurred at his home in Chariton in 1890.

From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton
--------
Obit of William Wilson
Died at his home in Chariton, IA, Sept. 14th, 1888,  at 10:40pm.  Dr. Wilson, aged 57 years, 2 months and 22 days.  The funeral services were held at the family residence on Sunday, Sept. 16th, conducted by Rev's O.C. Shelton and E. Packer, and the remains were interred in the Chariton cemetery.

Dr. William Wilson was born in Alegheny City, PA. June 22nd, 1831, being the oldest of five children, whose father died when he was ten years old.  He received a good education in the city schools after which he began the study of medicine under the direction of Dr. Frank P. Cooper.  Later he attended the Medical College at Cleveland, Ohio and the St. Louis College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from the latter with high honors.  After obtaining his degree he returned to Alegheny and practiced his profession until the year 1870, when, in company with his wife and children, he came to Chariton, IA, where he has since resided.  He has been in feeble health for a year.
------------------------------------

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dr. William Addison Todd

Dr. William Addison Todd  1838 - 1897
     Dr. William Addison Todd was born in Danville, Indiana on April 4, 1838.  His parents were Dr. Henry G. and Levina (Hunter) Todd.  His father, a native of Louisville, kentucky was born in 1811; was educated at Lexington, kentucky and was graduated from the Transylvania medical College in 1831.
     He practiced medicine in Danville for the long period of sixty-one years and died in that city in October, 1892.  Young William was educated in the city schools of Danville and in Wabash College at Crawfordsville.  He entered that institution in 1854 and pursued a special course of study for two years.  He then began the study of medicine in the office of his father who at that time was located in Indianapolis.  Laying aside his medical subjects for a time, he became engaged in the drug business for several years.  However, once more the call of medicine became strong and he matriculated in the medical department of the University of Michigan, where he completed one course of lectures.  He then began the the practice of medicine at North Salem, Indiana.  In 1864 he entered the army as Assistant Surgeon of the 11th Indiana Infantry, in which capacity he served until the close of the Civil War.  In the fall of 1865 he became a resident of Garden Grove, Decatur County, Iowa, where he continued to practice medicine and surgery until 1873.  He then returned to Indiana where he became a student in the Indiana Medical College at Indianapolis, from which institution he was graduated in the class of 1874.  Following his graduation he returned to Garden Grove where he remained until 1882, when he came to Chariton.
     Dr. Todd was married at Eddyville, Iowa October 3, 1861, to Miss Orpha G. Tuttle, a native of New Hampshire.  This union was blessed by two sons, Edward Carlton and Henry Oliver.  The former died in infancy.  Dr. Todd was a member of the county and state medical societies, and of the Des Moines Valley medical Association.  He served the latter as its president on one occasion.  He was amember of Iseminger Post, No. 18, Grand Army of the Republic.  He was also a member of Chariton Lodge No. 63, A.F. and A.M.
     The doctor was injured in a runaway accident in the spring of 1897.  He was thrown from his buggy while making a call, sustaining fractured ribs and internal injuries to his chest and lungs, which caused an effusion of fluid in his pleural cavity.  These injuries were attended by marked dyspnea and great suffering.  The writer waited upon him throughout his last sickness.  Dr. Todd was a very kind and sympathetic man, easy to approach and was on good terms with all of his professional brethren.  He stood ever ready to assist them in any way possible.  He inspired confidence and trust in his patients and was dearly loved by children.  The doctor was a worthy and faithful member of the Presbyterian Church.  He died at his home in Chariton on March 24, 1897, at the age of fifty-eight years.  The funeral services were held in the church of his faith and were largely attended.  His body was interred in the Chariton cemetery.

From the History of Medicine of Lucas County book by Dr. Throckmorton.
-------------------